DIRECTIONS & PLANNING
Each week, there is a suggested area of
fasting to apply to your life. These weekly
fasts give you opportunities to pursue
greater communion with Christ. It’s more
than just subtracting something from
your life. As you empty yourself from the
extra commotion, clutter, and noise, you
will find greater room for Him to speak
through His Word.
The guide follows a simple pattern each week:
• Monday and Tuesday – Read the all the
Scriptures for the week. The main focus is
on reading. You will be asked one or two
questions for general feedback, but the
focus is on reading.
• Wednesday and Thursday – Dig deeper by
making observations on the texts being
• Friday – This day is for processing what
you’ve been reading all week and applying
it to your life.
• Saturday – Set some time aside to review and
reflect on what you’ve written. Take time to
pray, asking the Holy Spirit to show you what
He’s wanting to reveal to you in the week’s
reading. If you have questions from the
reading, contact your Life Group leader or a
church staff member to help you gain
Pray – Spend time daily reading the Bible and
ask the Holy Spirit for guidance in your prayers
over the next 40 days.
Commit – Pray about how you will participate
with each week’s suggested area of fasting.
• Week 1*: Radio, Music, and Podcasts
• Week 2: TV and Movies
• Week 3: Social Media and Internet
• Week 4: Caffeine and Sweets
• Week 5: Food
• Week 6: Shopping for Non-Essentials
• Week 7: Sleep
* Because Lent begins on Ash Wednesday
(Feb. 14) the first week is a shorter week.
- Week 5: When fasting from food consult
a physician, especially if you are pregnant,
nursing, or taking medication. If your
situation does not allow you do to a full fast,
determine what will work best for you.
- Week 7: In fasting from sleep, you are neither
expected nor encouraged to abstain from
sleep for the entire week. However the hope
is that we might set our alarms and hour or
two early, stay up an hour or two later and
devote that time to prayer.